Chinese peacekeeping medical detachment to Mali saves landmine attack victim


China Military Online
Huang Panyue
Medical personnel of the Chinese peacekeeping medical detachment to Mali transfer a local landmine attack victim to the emergency room on Aug. 29, local time.


MALI, Aug. 31 (ChinaMil) -- Chinese peacekeeping medical detachment to Mali received a seriously wounded person who suffered from a landmine attack at 6:40 a.m. on August 29, local time. After a seven-hour intensive treatment, the injured person’s condition was finally under control.


According to the information from the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA), a supply convoy of the MINUSMA hit landmines while on its way to the Anefis area of Mali at 3:20 pm, Aug. 29, local time. The assault left two people killed and one seriously wounded, and all the victims were local employees.


Upon receiving the order to rescue the wounded person, the Chinese peacekeeping Level-II hospital immediately launched an emergency rescue plan, with a four-people airborne treatment group on standby at 3:50 p.m., local time.


The peacekeeping medical detachment also arranged medical professionals of orthopedics, neurology, thoracic surgery, general surgery and ancillary diagnostic to be fully prepared.


After the wounded person arrived at the hospital, multiple tests such as physical examination, electrocardiograph monitoring, X-ray and blood tests were performed.


Results showed that coupled with hemorrhagic shock, the wounded person was also suffering from an open and comminuted fracture on his left calf and left elbow and open soft-tissue injuries all over his body.


Medical personnel of the Chinese peacekeeping medical detachment performed debridement, fracture reduction and fixation to avoid potential damage on important blood vessels and nerves caused by the fracture, reduce the risks of complications and infections, and create favorable conditions for saving the limb and restoring joint functions.


All of the wounded person’s injuries received proper disposal after more than four hours' surgery. The patient has been transferred to the intensive care unit (ICU), and all of the patient's vital signs are stable.


Related News